Wednesday, June 30, 2010

BEAT UP IN NY

Wednesday, June 30th 2010, 4:00 AM

NYC Transit driver Gilberto Davila shows injuries from assault on his Brooklyn bus Monday.
Adams for News
NYC Transit driver Gilberto Davila shows injuries from assault on his Brooklyn bus Monday.

The Brooklyn bus driver pummeled by an irate rider Monday morning feared for his life while being battered - and worried about his other passengers.

After being punched in the face, NYC Transit driver Gilberto Davila said he grabbed his burly attacker by the waist as a handful of B6 passengers looked on in horror.

"I'm just thinking of survival and keeping him away from the passengers," Davila, 44, told the Daily News, recalling the onboard combat that lasted about three minutes.

"I'm holding him towards the front of the bus and he's pummeling away, swinging away."

"My life was in jeopardy," Davila continued, adding he was concerned the man might have a weapon.

Davila on Tuesday was nursing a formidable shiner, scrapes to his face, bumps on his head and pain in the neck. Initially, his left eye was swollen shut, he said.

Police charged Jason Ferreira with felony assault and several misdemeanors in the attack that came on the first weekday of sweeping cuts to bus and subway service.

Also on Monday, about 400 bus drivers, mechanics and cleaners were laid off.

Shortly after boarding in Bensonhurst, Ferreira, 22, asked if the bus had arrived at Flatbush Ave., according to Davila.

The driver chuckled and told the man they had only traveled two blocks, and Flatbush Ave. was about 20 down the road.

"That's why you g--damn bus drivers always get beat up," Ferreira exploded, according to Davila.

Ferreira didn't return a telephone call seeking comment.

For about 20 blocks, Ferreira blasted Davila with insults and challenges, Davila said.

"If it weren't for the cameras, I would kick your a--," Ferreira said, according to Davila, apparently suspecting video cameras were recording inside the bus.

The verbal attack turned physical when Davila pulled the bus to the side of the road, Davila said.

Both men are taller than 6 feet and weigh more than 200 pounds.

"I stood up and I got clocked in the face," Davila said. "He hit me and we got tangled. I wanted to get him off the bus, but I couldn't."

"I was born in Brooklyn and I can handle myself, but he's a strong young man," Davila continued. "He tossed me off the bus like I was a feather."

No comments: